The 50th NASBR meeting in Tempe, AZ has been cancelled
On Wednesday, September 1st, the NASBR Board of Directors held an emergency meeting and made the difficult decision to cancel the 2021 meeting of NASBR. This decision was based on multiple factors, including 1) current increasing rates of Covid-19 infections, including breakthrough cases, in North America, as well as those in Maricopa County, Arizona; 2) uncertainty and observed decrease in vaccine efficacy over time; 3) cancellations or postponements of registration among our members; 4) an increase in University, Agency and other restrictions that are making travel difficult; and most importantly 5) the health and safety of the NASBR membership and their families.
As many of you have shared, NASBR meetings are more than just a place to discuss science. To many, they are akin to a family gathering or a reunion of friends. This camaraderie within our Society is something we as the Board value, thus protecting our NASBR friends and family continues to be important to us. This was not an easy decision, and whereas we are saddened to not come together this year, we consider this a necessary action.
A: The Program Directors, in consultation with the Board, are looking at options and will reach out as soon as a decision is made.
Q: Will I get a refund?
A: Yes, online and in-person registrations, sponsorships, and optional items will be fully refunded. This includes those of you who have already cancelled prior to the official cancellation of the meeting. If you need an official cancellation email please contact the Program Directors via the Contact Us page on the NASBR website.
Q: What does cancellation mean for NASBR?
A: The NASBR Board of Directors has done their best over the last year to mitigate the financial losses of this meeting even as the Program Directors and Local Hosts have actively planned for it. The NASBR General Fund exists for the purpose of insuring against losses at a given meeting. Through the Board’s due diligence in the past, we will be able to absorb the financial loss associated with cancelling the Tempe meeting, but like other societies, we will need to assess and continue to mitigate pandemic impacts. Once we settle the contract with the hotel, we will provide a financial statement to the membership.
Q: I want to do something to help the society, what can I do?
A: We will follow up with specifics about optional donations for those members that are interested in contributing.
Q: Will IBRC still take place?
A: Yes, all plans for the joint NASBR/IBRC meeting in Austin in 2022 remain as originally planned.
Thank you for your understanding and patience. We look forward to seeing you in 2022 for the 50th meeting of NASBR and the 19th meeting of the IBRC.
Your NASBR Board of Directors